[web-devel] richer client experiences

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Jan 26 00:06:19 CET 2011

On 2011-01-25 23:22, Greg Weber wrote:

>>   I get this definite feeling that people are assuming that I'm somehow
>
> "afraid" of the client side
>

> Please don't take anything personally!
> I was just suggesting an alternative models that I think are achievable
> right now, even if yours may be more ideal when completed.

No worries :).

>>     - Testing is horrendous.
>

> I definitely agree, but now I *am* going to state (as someone who works in
> typeless languages that if that is your opinion (and it is mine of
> javascript) that there is a fear of the client side, or at least a
> recognition that programming it will be less productive because of the
> effort to test. This point goes in tandem with the lack of static typing-
> you can make up for some of the lack of static typing with more testing. I
> am looking into better ways to test javascript, looking into this at the
> moment: http://javascriptmvc.com/docs/FuncUnit.html.

It just so happens that I was looking at testing frameworks for JS a
while ago. I stumbled upon this, which seemed interesting in that it
focuses more on the practical development workflow:

http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2010/08/25/introducing-yeti-the-yui-easy-testing-interface/

Video presentation here:

    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=yuiconf2010-burke

> I hope you build the framework you are setting out to do and that I can use
> it to build cool sites.

Me too :).