[web-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.2.0

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Mon May 24 13:38:54 EDT 2010

Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> writes:

> I think you read my e-mail a little too harshly. Let me rephrase:
>
> * The feature set Snap has right now does not qualify it as a
> framework *in my mind*. If someone asks to compare the features of
> Snap and Yesod, there's not much to say. I'm well aware of the
> subjectivity of the term framework, I'm merely saying that by the
> criteria I know, and which I think most people are used to, Snap does
> not provide the features of a framework.
>
> * I'm well aware of Snap's routing abilities, but it still does not
> support type-safe URLs. You may not want type-safe URLs, that's
> fine. But I can't compare Yesod's implementation of them versus
> Snap's, simply because the latter is absent.
>
> If you see Snap as a great way to write applications without
> complications, go for it, I think that's great. For people that want
> features that Yesod provides, I think it will be nice to have a fast
> server to run on top of.

Yes, exactly, I agree with all of the above. We have plans for providing
more sophisticated "framework" capabilities in the future, but right now
we are concentrating on having a stable, well-tested, and
high-performance low-level HTTP server and application interface.

Where we can find common ground (like Yesod using Snap as a low-level
server, or us maybe adapting some code for multipart form data from
Yesod), the code will cross-pollinate, and where things are too
different (because of different design goals/concerns) we will provide
users with alternatives. "A rising tide lifts all boats" etc.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>