[web-devel] What frameworks are there?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Apr 8 17:52:08 EDT 2010

Kyle,

You're 100% correct about the state of documentation. I think we need to
figure out a nice, centralized place to put up quality Haskell
documentation, and actually work at it.

The obvious place is the Haskell wiki, but a downside is that many people do
not have accounts. For github projects- like Yesod- we could use the wiki
pages there, but that's not exactly standardized.

In addition, I think it will help library authors to know *where* the
documentation is lacking. For example, I know that I haven't written much
documentation on the Handler datatype in Yesod. However, I'm not sure if
anyone actually *cares* about that, or if instead a nice introduction to the
authentication framework would be more welcome.

I assume we won't come up with any great solutions to the documentation
issue in the immediate future; in the interim, if people want to see some
documentation on any of my packages, please do one of the following:

* File an issue on the appropriate github projects making a request for
documentation. Be as clear as possible.
* Start a Wiki page (either Github or Haskell wiki) with your questions and
e-mail me to let me know it's there.
* Send an e-mail to the web-devel list with the question.
* As a last resort, e-mail me privately. I'd much prefer that these
discussions happen in public so that others can learn and contribute.

I'm more than open to better suggestions. I'll also appreciate any help in
improving my documentation.

Michael