[web-devel] A separation of concerns

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Mon Mar 15 12:33:10 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I don't believe that there could be one big framework for everybody. Some people want good HTML abstractions, others only think of the server as data storage. Some people want RESTful URLs, other people don't care about RESTfulness but would benefit heavily from controller abstractions. For certain applications SQL might be perfect and for others the Happstack-State works great.

My point is: we should not try to build one big framework. Instead, I propose that we build a set of smaller libraries that each do one thing very well. Some of these libraries might be designed to work together.

I personally think MVC is a perfect fit for the web: model code handles data storage, view code handles HTML/JSON/XML and the controller coordinates between these. Instead of building packages that do all of these things, I would like to see model packages, view packages and controller packages. That way we can achieve maximum reusability and a good separation of concerns.

What do you think of this?

-chris