[reactive] FRP applied to music sequencing/ DSP

Stefan Kersten sk at k-hornz.de
Mon May 14 17:05:45 CEST 2012

On 14.05.12 15:11, Balazs Komuves wrote:
> Personally, I believe the FRP paradigm should be suitable for the tasks you
> describe, but we are probably not there yet. Changing the graph is probably the
> nontrivial part, but specifying fades/etc should be easy. If you want a
> full-blown music producing / synthesizer system, then it again becomes hard
> because of the performance requirements. You probably need to Just-In-Time
> compile the circuit to some low-level language. But this is definitely possible;
> for example Henning Thielemann has such a prototype synth:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/synthesizer-llvm

fwiw, henning also has released a package for doing midi event
processing with the reactive-banana library [1].

regarding sound synthesis and processing, there are some
options that allow haskell control of a synthesis engine
written in C/C++, e.g. hsc3 (supercollider) [2] and hCsound
(csound) [3].

personally i've been using reactive-banana and hsc3 in some
recent projects, where FRP "events" are rendered by sending
graph manipulation messages to the supercollider synthesis
engine.

<sk>

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-balsa
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hsc3