[reactive] To fmap fmap or not?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Thu Nov 20 19:18:25 EST 2008

You got it, Peter!

There's a different generalization axis I've gotten a lot of mileage from,
hinted at by the types of first and second.  Generalize function fmap to
arrows beyond (->).  I called the generalized method "result", because it
says to edit in the result of a function, just as first and second say to
edit in the first and second components of a pair.

This pattern emerged for me while working on the Eros (
http://conal.net/papers/Eros/) project and is captured in the DeepArrow
library (http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/DeepArrow).  The Eros paper shows
applications for interactive composition of values, code, and UIs.

Even without the generalization to deep arrows, defining result = (.), and
using first, second, and result gives a nice concrete reading, in addition
to uses of fmap.  For instance, (first.result.second) says how to walk down
the type graph: take the first half of a pair, then the result part of a
function, then the second part of a pair.

  - Conal