[reactive] To fmap fmap or not?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:21:32 EST 2008

Thanks for  the feedback.
Let's see if I get this by writing a little newbie tutorial for myself using
literal Haskell syntax.

I will import Control.Arrow since fmap on a pairs transforms the second
coordinate value,
and when transforming pairs, I sometimes need to transform the first
coordinate value...

> import Control.Arrow

To understand  the (fmap.fmap.fmap) thing, I will create a simple tutorial,
mainly for myself to get a better understanding.

Suppose we have a pair:

> p :: (Bool, [Char])

E.g.

> p = (True,"Reactive")

The "type graph" (pardon my lack of knowledge of correct terminology) of p
is

        (,)
       /   \
     Bool  []

          Char

Since fmap is about transforming a structure into another structure,
let's suppose that - given any "instance" with a type signature like p -
we want to create a new instance p' at runtime that transforms
the string (at the second coordinate) into its length.

That's easy; we can use fmap (or Arrow.second) to do that:

< instance Functor ((,) a) where
<   fmap f (x,y) = fmap (x, f y)

> tp :: (Bool,[Char]) -> (Bool,Int)
> tp = fmap length
>
> p' = tp p

fmap on pairs basically transforms the rightmost branch of our graph.

        (,)             (,)
       /   \           /   \
     Bool  []   -->  Bool  Int

          Char

fmap always transforms the rightmost branch in the graph, since the kind of
Functor is * -> *.

For example lets define an fmap on triples:

> instance Functor ((,,) a b) where
>    fmap f (x,y,z) = (x,y,f z)

< fmap :: (c->d) -> (a,b,c) -> (a,b,d)

        (,,)         (,,)
       / | \   -->  / | \
      a  b  c      a  b  d

To continue the (fmap.fmap.fmap) story, suppose we now nest p in a Maybe:

> m :: Maybe (Bool, [Char])
> m = Just (True, "Reactive")

       Maybe

        (,)
       /   \
     Bool  []

          Char

Again we want to transform the string into its length.

To do that we can use the fmap Maybe instance:

< fmap f Nothing = Nothing
< fmap f (Just x) = Just (f x)

The function we need to fmap on m is just tp!

> tm :: Maybe (Bool,[Char]) -> Maybe (Bool,Int)
> tm = fmap tp
>
> m' = tm m

So again this fmap transforms the rightmost branch underneath the Maybe
(which is the one and only branch underneath the unary Maybe type)

If we expand tm we get

< tm = fmap (fmap length) = (fmap . fmap) length

So here we have the first magical (fmap . fmap):
- the first fmap transforms the branch underneath the Maybe with (fmap (fmap
length)),
- the second fmap transforms the right branch underneath the pair (,) with
(fmap length).

We can also do this for functions. Suppose we now have

> f :: Char -> Maybe (Bool, [Char])
> f c = Just (c=='a', "Reactive")

The type graph of f is

    (->)
   /    \
Char   Maybe

        (,)
       /   \
     Bool  []

          Char

But function application also has an fmap instance!

It is just the same as function composition:

< instance Functor ((<-) a) where
<   fmap f g = f . g
< fmap :: (b->c) -> (a->b) -> (a->c)

   (->)         (->)
   /  \    ->   /  \
  a    b       a    c

Again the rightmost branch is transformed...

So to transform the string into its length but now in the f graph, we do

> tf :: (Char -> Maybe (Bool, [Char])) -> (Char -> Maybe (Bool, Int))
> tf = fmap tm
>
> f' = tf f

Expanding this gives

> tf' = (fmap . fmap . fmap) length
> f'' = tf' f

So the expression ((fmap.fmap.fmap) g) performs deep transformation
on the 3 rightmost branches of any type graph (that has fmap instances)

To transform a leftmost branch, we can use Arrow.first, for example:

> tf'' :: (Char -> Maybe (Bool,[Char])) -> (Char -> Maybe (String,[Char]))
> tf'' = (fmap . fmap . first) show

> f''' = tf'' f

Demo:

> main = mapM_ putStrLn
>        [ showT p $ fmap length
>        , showT m $ (fmap.fmap) length
>        , showF f $ (fmap.fmap.fmap) length
>        , showF f $ (fmap.fmap.first) show ]
>
> showT x t = show x ++ " ==> " ++ (show $ t x)
> showF f t = "\'a' -> "++show (f 'a') ++ " ==> \'a' -> " ++ show ((t f)
'a')

|(True,"Reactive") ==> (True,8)
| Just (True,"Reactive") ==> Just (True,8)
| 'a' -> Just (True,"Reactive") ==> 'a' -> Just (True,8)
| 'a' -> Just (True,"Reactive") ==> 'a' -> Just ("True","Reactive")

I think I learned something cool here: being able to perform deep
transformations without writing a lot of boiler plate code.

Thank you!