[nhc-users] Documentation query

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:15:12 +1000

Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote,

> > What's the best way to figure out what components of the FFI
> > nhc98 supports in which version?  RTFS?
>
> The nhc98 web pages (included in the distribution) have some notes
> on what is supported and what is not.
>
>     http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/nhc98/ffi.html
>
> The contents of the FFI library itself is best read directly from
> the sources:
>
>     nhc98-1.08/src/prelude/FFI/*.hs
>
> Basically very little has changed w.r.t to our support for the FFI
> during the last year.  In particular, we have not yet updated to the
> latest version of the standard where the external entity string was
> introduced.

GHC hasn't yet picked that one up, too.  But NHC still uses
`Addr', which is meanwhile deprecated in GHC.  I am still
having the --old-ffi flag in c2hs to generate Addr
compatible code, but I didn't really check closely anymore
in new code that it is Addr compatible.  So, that may give
problems much more likely than the extent stuff.

Cheers,
Manuel