status of mtl

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Thu Sep 30 07:01:32 UTC 2021

Am 25.09.21 um 15:24 schrieb Keith:
> I have heard in the past that MTL's maintainers are very
> conservative about pushing out new releases, because so much of tho
> Haskell ecosystem needs to be updated and rebuilt when they do. But
> the backlash seems to be cramming as much as possible into new
> releases. This is not ideal but it is pragmatic.

I don't accept the assumption that "much of the Haskell ecosystem needs
to be updated and rebuilt when a new release of mtl is made". Packages
that properly indicate upper bounds on their mtl dependency won't be
affected (assuming a major version bump).

The burden lies with those who want to use the new features: they need
to convince other library maintainers to release compatibility updates
with raised upper bounds on their mtl dependency, issuing PRs and
lobbying for new releases. This is exactly as it should be.

Cheers
Ben
--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered, than answers that
cannot be questioned.  -- Richard Feynman