[RFC] Support Unicode characters in instance Show String

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:17:45 UTC 2021

On 08-07-21 19:04, Travis Cardwell via Libraries wrote:
> This is the primary motivation of the TTC (Textual Type Classes)
> library: <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/ttc>.
>
> It provides a Render type class that is analogous to Show and a Parse
> type class that is analogous to Read.  No instances are declared so that
> users of the library can implement instances as required for each
> application, but default instances for core types are available.

Not related to the main point of the thread, but we really need a way to
signal certain libraries as the "go to solution" for a problem without
including them in "base". A note on the Show/Read class documentation saying
that the best solution for "showing" human text is certain library would be
great.

--
-- Rubén
-- pgp: 4EE9 28F7 932E F4AD