Proposal: Expanding the CLC

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 16 22:54:09 UTC 2021

Ignat

Thanks for writing.  You are just the sort of person that ought to feel welcome, and able to contribute. That you have not felt that way is a failure.

I'd like to suggest another explanation to the three you offer (none of which I subscribe to).

4.  The now-very-large Haskell ecosystem runs on the efforts of busy volunteers, all of whom have day jobs.  However well-meaning or high-minded we are, things will be left undone, or done less well than we aspire to.

I hope and believe that the Haskell Foundation will help with this challenge.  I don’t think it'll be a silver bullet.  But it should help; and making volunteers such as you feel both welcome and able to contribute meaningfully is certainly a major goal.

| Haskell has not only made me a programmer — it defined me as a person.
| There is no other language and no other community like this one. I have
| reverence. Is it the same for anyone else here? Or should I, rather, grow
| up and move on?

Please don't grow up and move on!  We are working together to build not just a language to be proud of, but a community we can flourish in.  We will stumble for sure, but if we are humble, respectful of each other, and willing to keep trying, I think we can succeed.

Simon