Diagonalization/ dupe for monads and tuples?

Jon Purdy evincarofautumn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:20:04 UTC 2020

I’m inclined against anything to do with higher tuples than pairs,
honestly. If there’s a real demand for it at some point, we can certainly
consider it, but pairs are vastly more common, and I’ve only ever wanted or
seen people wanting the ‘a → (a, a)’ version in practice.

Generally speaking, I see ≥3-tuples as a sign of a missing data type, and I
think I’m in likeminded company here.

If I really had my way, we’d make (,) a right-associative operator in both
values and types, so (a, b, c) = (a, (b, c)), and accessor functions could
work on any size of tuple.

I would also expect these functions to be called dup, dup3, dup4, &c. by
analogy with other tuple functions using that convention (e.g. zip, zip3).