Fwd: New Libraries Proposal process

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:44:10 UTC 2020

Carter Schonwald wrote:
> Are you sure about this approach? I think you need to start with an
> open discussion , And have a open ended thread about ideas for how to
> improve how we do things.

I totally agree with this, though fleshing out ideas in a smaller
forum first is helpful.

An important consideration here is that there are several types of
stakeholders in the library proposal process, including

* the CLC members, who ultimately decide on core library changes;
* proponents ("authors"), who originate proposals for such changes;
  and
* observers ("the wider Haskell community"), users of the core
  libraries who want to keep track of upcoming library changes and
  chime in when a proposal affects their own uses of a library.

I suspect that the observers are a silent majority, and that a mailing
list with public archives is close to optimal for them. (I consider
myself an observer and I do like the mailing list for precisely this
reason. But I also grew up with mailing lists, not forums, so I'm
surely biased here.)

In any case I think that any change to the library proposal process
should cater to all three types of stakeholders (and possibly others
I have failed to think of). In its current form, I believe

  https://github.com/haskell-core/core-libraries-proposals

fails to do that for observers.

Cheers,

Bertram