Re: Ann: let’s create better norms for ensuring all important libraries have several active maintainers

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:26:46 UTC 2020

I've sometimes found it difficult to select people to help with
maintenance. Specifically, I really like to choose folks who've already
made significant contributions to the project, demonstrating familiarity
with at least some of its technical aspects. Ideally, they will also have
participated substantively in discussions of issues and pull requests,
pointing in helpful directions and offering constructive criticism.

All this means that we need to help more folks get more *involved* in
important libraries. What are the important barriers? One major challenge
is that as libraries mature, they can often get *more difficult* to dig
into and understand.

In the case of vector (which I'm only occasionally tangentially involved
in), I blame the fusion bundle mechanism and the framework supporting it.

In containers, most things are still reasonably approachable, but there are
some exceptions. IntMap and IntSet have never had quite enough comments to
explain their machinery. Major optimizations we've made in Data.Sequence
have made that always-tricky module quite intimidating. And the alterF
mechanism for Data.Map is not for the faint of heart.

In unordered-containers, Johan improved internal documentation
substantially a couple years ago, but it could still use some work.

In lens, well, everything. Ed targeted maximum flexibility, at the cost of
a bunch of barely-documented and sometimes ad hoc type classes, and types
barely anyone understands.

What is my point? I'm not sure. There's clearly some room to combine
software and human-factors engineering in library internals to make them
friendlier places for people to get to work.