Hackage trustee selection process

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 04:28:53 UTC 2020

I agree there is no formal process for selecting trustees, and it would be good to codify one. Good point, David!

I do not think there should be terms — the post is intended to be purely administrative/technical, not one of oversight.

Here is the chain of command: Hackage trustees are delegated powers by hackage admins, who in turn serve under the oversight of the haskell.org committee. They are only supposed to act within their delegated authority, which is determined by the hackage admins in conjunction with the haskell.org committee. They do not form a “committee” or “subcommittee" with any sort of independent collective decision making, though of course they consult on particular technical issues (and thus there is no comparison with the CLC). Importantly, trustees do not set policy for hackage, though they may raise concerns or suggestions which decision-making bodies may consider.

Typically, when a new trustee has been proposed, they have been accepted on the basis of a consensus discussion. The “process” if there is an issue is that the hackage admins and haskell.org committee can act as necessary (up to and including removing trustees), because the trustees do not constitute an independent body, just people with some limited delegated rights on the hackage server.

Speaking of which, we could use more trustees if people want to volunteer. I warn you, it is very boring (but necessary).

-Gershom