Expanding Data.Foldable documentation with overview prose (pre-MR feedback requested)

Simon Jakobi simon.jakobi at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 24 04:25:34 UTC 2020

Hi Victor!

Thanks for this initiative! I think it would be great to have some
good, in-depth documentation on Foldable and Traversable in base!

So far I've made a pass over the Foldable docs. Here are some random comments:

* I think the docs at the bottom of the page are easy to miss. Maybe
add a reference to them at the top of the page.

* I think the documentation might be more accessible and inviting if
it would use slightly simpler language. For example the first sentence
of the overview section:

  The Foldable class encompasses structures that support element-wise
reduction to a summary value.

  With words like "encompass" and "summary" (as an adjective) the
sentence sounds slightly off-putting to me – this might be a matter of
taste though.

* In the code example for computing an average, a proper declaration
might be easier to follow:

  average :: (Foldable f, Fractional a) => f a -> a

* A clearer name for the "Construction" section might be "Defining instances"

* The distinction between recursive and corecursive reduction looks
very valuable IMHO!

Cheers!
Simon