Operator precedence help

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 05:42:21 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 1:30 AM Henning Thielemann <
lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2020, David Feuer wrote:
>
> > It sure does seem crowded around there. I'd love to have 4.5 or 5.5.
> Going up to 6 runs into arithmetic. Going
> > down to 4 hits up against Functor and Applicative stuff, which is a tad
> unfortunate but I think probably not as
> > bad in practice. So I think I'll go with 4 and 5. Thanks, y'all!
>
> I would use 5 for cons, like : and ++

My queues use snoc and uncons. Using 5 for :< means using 4 for |>, which
is the thing that can show up in an expression context and therefore clash
with Applicative stuff. So I'd be tempted to go the other way. Of course,
that doesn't help deques, but I want consistency. Where might that go wrong?