Proposal: add `on` to the Prelude

Manuel Gómez targen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:41:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM Oliver Charles <ollie at ocharles.org.uk> wrote:
> That said, I would still prefer as many symbols as possible to have
> explicit binding sites, which means I would prefer to be explicit
> about my import to `on` rather than assume it from the Prelude.

I personally share this preference.  In my own code, I enable
NoImplicitPrelude and explicitly import symbols from whatever module
is the logical home for any given symbol.  As I have this personal
preference, I would explicitly `import Data.Function (on)` as I do
today, irrespective of the outcome of this proposal.  This is
generally possible for any symbol that is not actually defined in the
Prelude but merely re-exported from somewhere else.

I mean to say that this particular style neither benefits nor is
impaired much by this proposal.  There would still be a Prelude with
lots of symbols, and you will still be able to pretend there isn't one
to the benefit of explicit binding sites, to whichever degree you
personally favour.