Memory Barriers with STM and MVar

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Tue May 28 19:15:49 UTC 2019

Perhaps it may be better to open an issue for this information to be added
to the GHC user manual. Neither the word "barrier" nor the word "fence"
show up in the context of reordering in the user manual. Having some kind
of guarantee is extremely important for writing certain types of
applications. I suspect that both atomically and all the MVar operations
imply a full memory barrier, but I haven't been able this documented
anywhere.

--
-Andrew Thaddeus Martin