generalize type of Data.Set.unions from List to Foldable

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Mon Feb 5 14:51:52 UTC 2018

unions also describes intent clearly. My intention is to take the union of
a collection of sets. That might well correspond with a fold, but that's an
implementation detail - and not one that I particularly care about. On top
of that, when people read my code, I want them to understand that I intend
to take the unions of a collection of sets, rather than having them figure
out what it is I'm doing by using foldl.

I don't really see the harm in keeping unions, and I don't see the
advantage in removing it. If we're arguing that unions is so simple to
write, then the argument that deleting code will improve maintainability
doesn't hold - because apparently it's so simple we're not going to
introduce bugs in containers. If you don't agree with that reasoning, then
apparently unions is sufficiently complicated to write that it *should* be
in the containers library.