Random Number Update

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:45:04 UTC 2017

> Carter, can you outline how random v2 compares to v1?

Whatever will be done, I think it would be good to keep the 'random'
package alive, probably just by re-exporting one of the better RNGs,
perhaps with a thin shim to keep the API identical. Yes, this would somehow
"bless" one of the RNGs, but this is not important: The important thing is
avoiding breakage in the ecosystem, keeping tutorials, books etc. valid.
People who know what they are doing can easily pick the right RNG for their
needs and/or quickly adapt their code, but I guess for lots of stuff having
just *some* RNG under the traditional package name/module name is more than
enough.

Just my usual backwards-compatibility-rant... ;-)