Discussion: traversing roots and leaves

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:07:59 UTC 2017

No, I don't think so. The trouble is that GHC can't assume the Applicative
instance is valid. Optimizing this requires knowledge of things like

liftA3 f (pure x) m (pure y) = (\m' -> f x m' y) <$> m

GHC can only discover such facts when enough inlining and/or specialization
happen. Also, figuring out how close you should get to the leaves before
trying to coalesce actions may be a judgement call in some cases.