Proposal: merge either into transformers

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 09:37:48 UTC 2017

I sympathize. If you feel the need for those combinators, you can talk to
Ross to try to get him to add them to the library. (Well, secondEitherT is
already fmap, of course.) When the ExceptT API was crafted, it pretty much
tried to follow the API of the rest of transformers, and didn't really take
any of the extra combinators we had in the either package into account. =/

You might have a hard time getting the last one adopted, though, due to the
dependency on exceptions taking the API into "non-standard" territory.

Unfortunately, even if Ross adds them, I have no way to supply them in
transformers-compat when used with middle versions of transformers that
have ExceptT, but not those combinators, so the compatibility hack I offer
will suffer a bit.

-Edward