Haskell Foldable Wats

Mark Roberts markandrusroberts at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:06:25 UTC 2016

> these warning are supposed to be opt-in at the use sites,
> aren't they?

As I read it, Phil's suggestion of a FORBIDINSTANCE language extension
would be opt-in per module. Lennart's suggestion of attaching warnings to
methods in the instance does not seem opt-in. Lennart, have I
misinterpreted?

People have circulated somewhat convincing examples that show how these
> Functor instances lead to real bugs.

And there are those who are fine with these instances, too. You could
imagine many more disagreements which are a consequence of polymorphism. So
this feels more like a code-style/linting issue to me, and I think that
using a tool like HLint would be more appropriate than introducing a
language extension or other change to GHC.