Haskell Foldable Wats

Andreas Abel abela at chalmers.se
Wed Feb 24 21:21:35 UTC 2016

Your example gives enough incentive to row back "the ship that has
sailed" (to quote the favorite idiom on this list).

It is very unfortunate that we did not see these Wats when we decided
about FTP.

The strong type checker of GHC is a major productivity tool for large
code bases, and it would be a shame if we lost trust in it.

My opinion as a GHC user is that deprecation of the features leading to
these Wats should seriously be considered.  (Of course, as I am not a
developer, and I will not do the work involved, I cannot make a strong
case.)

--Andreas