3 release policy

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 01:06:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Mark Lentczner
<mark.lentczner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pretty much every shop I've worked at for the last 30 years has had a "must
> compile clean with no warnings" policy, no matter the language. The reason

That's actually not true for java at google.  However, after warning
bankruptcy was declared, a small set were made into errors and the
rest suppressed.  So that supports the idea of categorizing warnings
into serious and advisory, and using -Werror only for serious ones.
Of course, choosing which ones are which is likely to be a wrangle.

In my personal code I do the same, that is try to make it warning free
but only enable warnings that I consider worthwhile.  It would also be
really nice to have pragmas to suppress warnings locally (e.g. ErrorT
deprecation warnings from transformers-4, which seem to be impossible
to fix without abandoning 7.8).