Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 3 09:33:16 UTC 2015

Henrik Nilsson <Henrik.Nilsson at nottingham.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Johan Tibell wrote:
>
> On 10/03/2015 09:00 AM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> Time doesn't go to infinity for us. Haskell currently has a window of
>> opportunity for being adopted and bringing more functional programmers
>> to the world. This window isn't very big, perhaps a couple of years to a
>> decade. If we make programming in Haskell annoying by continuously
>> breaking anything, people will lose interest in Haskell and move on to
>> other languages.
>
> Well said. That is also a major concern of Graham and myself.
> And it is not just people considering adopting Haskell
> who are being annoyed, but also long-standing members of
> the community.

That includes me. I have various pieces of software that I have
written in Haskell over the years, and having fiddle with them
pretty much every time there is a new release of ghc is very
irritating. Obviously I don’t bother to recompile most of them
every time, because one of the advantages of programming in
Haskell is that I make fewer mistakes: so the code works and has
done for years, but when I want to add a new feature or
compensate for some change in the environment, what should be a
10 minute job ends up taking ages.

-1 on the proposal.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk