Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 08:00:48 UTC 2015

-1 from me as well.

I don't find the proposal convincing.

Cons:
 * Major breakages to existing code (which needs to be updated), docs (many
of which can't be updated), and future code (coding with ifdefs is error
prone).

Pros:
 * A feeling of cleanliness.

I think there's an implicit argument being made here, that if we let time
go towards infinity every breaking change is eventually paid off, no matter
how small the gain. Time doesn't go to infinity for us. Haskell currently
has a window of opportunity for being adopted and bringing more functional
programmers to the world. This window isn't very big, perhaps a couple of
years to a decade. If we make programming in Haskell annoying by
continuously breaking anything, people will lose interest in Haskell and
move on to other languages.

-- Johan