wither the Platform

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Mar 25 09:30:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  So that was the plan.  I still think it’s a good plan.  But it clearly
> is not working well, and I’m hazy about why.  Possible reasons:

Possibly relevant is the stackage commentary on HP at
http://www.stackage.org/install#why-not-haskell-platform:

• On Windows, it does not provide a complete environment (missing MSYS).
• By placing a large number of packages in the global package database,
Haskell Platform installations are more easily corrupted.
• The choice of package versions conflicts with the needs of many commonly
used packages.
• Some of the package versions included with the platform have known and
severe bugs, and cannot be reliably upgraded.