wither the Platform

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 13:06:07 UTC 2015

The original reason for the cabal hack that prevented it from trying to
reinstall template-haskell is that almost every time someone did this it
broke, silently. Then five packages later something would use template
haskell, and you'd get completely nonsensical error messages, and someone
_else_ would get the bug report. Sure there might have been a scenario in
which an expert who is working on ghc may want to reinstall the
template-haskell to get a new point release, but TH has never worked across
multiple GHC versions, and old versions shipped with very wide bounds.

Now, of course, maintainers and the trustees have the ability to
retroactively narrow bounds (and you've already done so for
template-haskell), so this view is dated. template-haskell should just be
reinstallable like everything else now.

-Edward