wither the Platform

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 09:17:54 UTC 2015

On Windows, the reason I used to use the Platform was that it came
with an installed network library, and installing the network library
on Windows is a real pain (and often fails). Unfortunately it was
incredibly brittle, a single attempt at upgrading network from some
newer package usually trashed my Haskell install and required a wipe
and restart.

Nowadays I use https://github.com/fpco/minghc which can actually
install network, and I've had zero problems. I can get up to the
platform with one invoke of cabal, and if someone decides to require a
new network, it just works.

I think the Platform now gives a worse user experience on Windows, so
the ideas (or names) probably need migrating around.

Thanks, Neil