Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:09:38 UTC 2015

I think that all breaking changes that are approved on this mailing list
should be migrated to a much more visible Github issue (i.e.
https://github.com/ghc/ghc) before final approval.  You can still do all
actual pull requests and coding via Phabricator, but the discussion
should be on Github, because the barrier for new people to join in on
the discussion is lower.  You will get a lot more discussion and
visibility into these changes purely by using Github as the central forum.

This mailing list is not an appropriate forum for discussion for several
reasons:

A) The volume of email is too high.  Only people who are experts at
managing their inbox subscribe here.
B) There is too little signal to noise (for a beginner).  Why would a
beginner want to join a mailing list that debates such dry topics as
whether or not to add Data.Intersperse.sequence?
C) There's no (easy) way to subscribe to (or mute) a particular thread
(unlike Github where you can easily watch or mute specific issues)

Pretty much everybody on this mailing list is a die-hard Haskell expert
and that's not representative of the Haskell community at large.
Migrating important topics to Github will give us a more representative
sampling of the community and will also help centralize the discussion
better.