removing constraints

Eric Mertens emertens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:40:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

The Core Libraries Committee was asked to discuss the question of removing
the unused Ix constraints from various classes and instances in the array
package.

We came to the consensus that the unused Ix constraint should be removed
from both the instances declarations and class method for reasons outlined
below.

For the constraints pertaining to top-level definitions and instance
declarations we agreed that the constraints should accurately reflect the
state of the code and that if in the future the constraint became necessary
again that it should be added.

The question about the class methods IArray.bounds and MArray.getBounds is
more interesting because these methods define open interfaces that external
instance might (now or in the future) depend on. In this particular case it
doesn't seem that the design of the Ix class could offer any interesting
methods that would be necessary to an instance of this class. Any such
instance would need to store the bounds alongside the array in some
fashion, and the Ix methods all have arguments requiring a pair of bounds.
Therefore we agreed that the constraint should be removed.

Regards,
Eric Mertens
Core Libraries Committee