Hackage is flooded with old package versions reuploads

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Wed Jan 21 10:24:36 UTC 2015

Hello Vincent,

On 2015-01-19 at 01:39:09 +0100, Vincent Hanquez wrote:

[...]

>> To my knowledge, the few cases where Herbert has actively done a
>> patch to the .cabal file like this without author communication is
>> because the package is in very very widespread use and the author
>> has been incommunicado for many months. As I recall, Max Bolingbroke
>> has a some packages that fit this bill.

> A simple counter example, that I noticed after the fact [1]

That was more of an oversight of mine as I got blocked on entropy being
broken[2] which transitively broke several of your packages for GHC
7.0/7.2 users (and this got fixed yesterday).  I usually did inform
upstreams in the cases I had to edit the meta-data (sometimes before,
and sometimes after the fact).

However, now that entropy got fixed and I got a clearer picture of which
failures have to be fixed in your packages, I've filed a couple of
tickets[3] against your packages to record what actions are needed to
restore some install-plans.

Moreover, as already stated elsewhere in this thread, an email
notification system is in the works to automate informing upstreams to
some extent.[4]

Does this procedure meet your expectations better?

[...]

Cheers,
  hvr

 [2] https://github.com/TomMD/entropy/issues/23#issuecomment-70705615