partial-function warning pragma (was: Proposal to deprecate and then drop fromJust)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Feb 24 10:58:57 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-24 at 11:30:33 +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:

[...]

>> Possibly what we need is a pragma to mark functions partial and a warning
>> flag that warns on usage of functions that have been marked partial.
>
> Right, see my other mail where I propose the same thing :-)
> I find hat a very good way forward and would be willing to guide anyone
> who wants to implement that in GHC.

Seems a few of us want this (saw those emails only after I already sent
my mail redundantly proposing a very similiar feature[1])... let's try
to implement this feature for 7.12 ... I already know SPJ will ask for a
GHC Wiki page describing the proposed design :-)

 [1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2015-February/025044.html