Polymorphism in the Prelude

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 13:54:24 UTC 2014

On 06/24/2014 06:20 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Do you have anything specific in mind here? At first I was just going to
>> dismiss this as wishful thinking but perhaps we could actually do
>> something about this.
>>
>> Maybe we could provide ‘alternative’ signatures which would make types
>> more specific with some (which? all of known ones?) instances.
>>

> You can already see how that works out with Scala documentation, which is
> an incomprehensible mess.

Can you link to a specific example? I looked up the API docs but I have
no idea what I should be looking for here.

I think that expandable instance lines would be the best without getting
in the way as they won't use up any new space which would let us avoid
clutter. If we generate this info automagically then there is no clutter
in the source itself either.

--
Mateusz K.