RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 18:27:03 UTC 2014

the point is: there should be some *easy* way to get/install cabal-install
binaries for those who aren't in a situation where haskell platform is
appropriate.

I generally regard haskell platform as "for students", "people with
enterprise support cycles" and "oh shit, my haskelll install is borked and
i need to get things working again right nowwwwww". I understand that
certain distros/package managers regard it as a stable substrate
(rightfully, cf my remark about support cycles).

But that doesn't preclude people from doing their own setup, and if that is
common place (as I believe it is, though i've not done a survey), having
binaries at are easy to install is a reasonable goal!

-Carter