RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Jan 25 17:59:43 UTC 2014

> I think that "something" need to be done to make it easier to set up >
GHC + cabal, independently of HP (unless HP becomes the "one true
> way" to install Haskell, which I doubt is the case).

Isn't that what this banner on
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_6_3 is supposed to signify?

"Stop!

For most users, we recommend installing the Haskell Platform instead of
GHC. The current Haskell Platform release includes a recent GHC release
as well as some other tools (such as cabal), and a larger set of
libraries that are known to work together."

For the people who want GHC to include cabal-install, what are the
obstacles to using the Haskell Platform instead?

One possibility I can see is disk space. The other reason, raised by
Carter at the start of this thread, is wanting to use the freshest GHC.

Cheers,

Ganesh