time and old-locale

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Aug 24 11:00:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:

> On 2014-08-24 03:44, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
>  One concern I have is that, with this move, we'll now have two core
>> packages both exporting a System.Locale module, which can cause a bit of
>> mayhem for users.
>>

> Fair enough, I can remove it if it will cause more problems than it solves.
>

>  What about instead of providing System.Locale, renaming it to something
>> like System.OldLocale. And then also releasing a new version in the time
>> 1.4 series that re-exports old-locale's System.Locale module under the
>> name System.OldLocale as well.
>>

> There's no point introducing another module name. If we go this road, it
> would look like this:
>
> time-1.5:Data.Time.Format re-exports old-locale:System.Locale
> time-1.6:Data.Time.Format exports its own locale stuff
>
> I'm just not sure the intervening step is necessary.

I was thinking of shifting it up one version: time-1.4.3 would re-export
old-locale's code, and time-1.5 would continue as you have it now. This
way, users wanting to stick with time-1.4 for some reason would just need
to bump their lower bound to 1.4.3. I'm honestly not sure if this is worth
it though; the most likely users to run into this problem are people on
Haskell Platform, and those users won't have the option of upgrading to a
time point release anyway.

Michael