time and old-locale

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Sun Aug 24 10:56:39 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-24 03:44, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> One concern I have is that, with this move, we'll now have two core
> packages both exporting a System.Locale module, which can cause a bit of
> mayhem for users.

Fair enough, I can remove it if it will cause more problems than it solves.

> What about instead of providing System.Locale, renaming it to something
> like System.OldLocale. And then also releasing a new version in the time
> 1.4 series that re-exports old-locale's System.Locale module under the
> name System.OldLocale as well.

There's no point introducing another module name. If we go this road, it
would look like this:

time-1.5:Data.Time.Format re-exports old-locale:System.Locale
time-1.6:Data.Time.Format exports its own locale stuff

I'm just not sure the intervening step is necessary.

-- Ashley