Seeking comments on proposed fusion rules

wren romano winterkoninkje at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 03:28:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM, David Feuer <david.feuer at gmail.com> wrote:
> -- The foldr/cons rule looks nice, but it can give disastrously
> -- bloated code when commpiling
> --      array (a,b) [(1,2), (2,2), (3,2), ...very long list... ]
> -- i.e. when there are very very long literal lists
> -- So I've disabled it for now. We could have special cases
> -- for short lists, I suppose.
> -- "foldr/cons" forall k z x xs. foldr k z (x:xs) = k x (foldr k z xs)

Yes, the foldr/cons rule is a bad idea. However, the cons/build rule
should be fine.

Both rules have the goal of reducing foldr/cons/build. The problem
shows up when we don't have that full pattern. The failure mode of
foldr/cons is ridiculously bloated code when the list doesn't end in a
build. I can't really think of a failure mode for cons/build.

When there's no foldr to cancel with, the build will be inlined; thus,
the original (x : build g) which became build(\c n -> c x (g c n))
will then become (x : g (:) []) in the end. If we did not have the
cons/build rule, then inlining of build would transform the original
(x : build g) into (x : g (:) []) directly. So having the rule, or
not, doesn't change the end result. In both cases we might complain
that g(:)[] is too slow, but then in both cases we'd expect there to
be a g-specific rule for rewriting g(:)[] into some g'.

The other possibility for a failure mode would be when there *is* a
foldr to cancel with but the cons function is really large— since the
cons/build rule duplicates the use of the cons function. That is, we
may worry about code like (foldr c0 n0 (x1:x2....:xN : build g)) where
N is large. However, note that after applying cons/build repeatedly
and then applying foldr/build, we end up with the code ((\c n -> c x1
(c x2 (... (c xN (g c n))...))) c0 n0) —that is, the rules produce a
beta-redex, they do not perform the substitution themselves. Since
beta-reduction is not performed by rewrite rules, the beta-reducer
already has to handle the issue of duplication.

--
Live well,
~wren