Proposal: Changes to the PVP

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Apr 11 19:51:21 UTC 2014

Hi Greg,

 > Version freezing is for application developers, not library
 > distributors like yourself.

distributions ship both libraries and applications, and the applications
are built with the set of libraries available within the distribution,
of course. Because of this, version freezing in applications affects
distributors very much, because we have to include the dependencies in
exactly those versions that the application developer fancied -- instead
of being able to chose from a range of versions that are convenient for
the purposes of the distribution.

I have packaged Haskell libraries and applications in ArchLinux and
NixOS for the last 5+ years, and please believe me when I say that
"version freezing" has caused me a lot of trouble in that time -- so
much that we've developed tools to automatically undo it.

Best regards,
Peter