Proposal: Changes to the PVP

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Apr 10 06:24:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:

> On 10/04/2014 05:30, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
> > * Module reexports leaking from transitive dependencies.
>
> Shouldn't we just be saying "don't reexport entire modules from other
> packages"? Is there a scenario where this is useful? One scenario I can
> see is perhaps inside groups of packages maintained by the same author
> or in the same source tree, but then the author can bump all the
> packages in sync if necessary.
>
> > I think it's obvious that no amendment to the text of the PVP will be
> > accepted by this list, so educating users that they're using their tools
> > incorrectly clearly won't be happening on that page.
>
> Didn't Johan get an amendment agreed a few weeks ago? I think your
> current amendments will have difficulty because they are based on
> premises that many people disagree with, but that doesn't mean that no
> amendments at all are possible.

I should have clarified: no amendment that points out flaws in the PVP. My
premise is simple: the PVP is a useful tool, but does not address all
cases. Since people seem to mistakenly believe that it will protect them
from all build problems, the text should be amended to make that clear.
Every attempt I've made to come up with text that is acceptable to this
list has been met with resistance. If someone else can come up with a
modification that is acceptable, great. But I'm not going to continue
trying, and will instead try to inform people through other channels that
they need to use something more than the PVP if they want reproducible
builds.

Michael