Proposal: Changes to the PVP

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Apr 10 06:19:10 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 05:30, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> * Module reexports leaking from transitive dependencies.

Shouldn't we just be saying "don't reexport entire modules from other
packages"? Is there a scenario where this is useful? One scenario I can
see is perhaps inside groups of packages maintained by the same author
or in the same source tree, but then the author can bump all the
packages in sync if necessary.

> I think it's obvious that no amendment to the text of the PVP will be
> accepted by this list, so educating users that they're using their tools
> incorrectly clearly won't be happening on that page.

Didn't Johan get an amendment agreed a few weeks ago? I think your
current amendments will have difficulty because they are based on
premises that many people disagree with, but that doesn't mean that no
amendments at all are possible.

Cheers,

Ganesh