Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 02:18:44 UTC 2014

> On 4/2/14, 8:36 PM, Gershom Bazerman wrote:
> Anders: What would you like to do about this situation? Is it possible
> to revert to the non monadcatchio interface with throwCGI and catchCGI?
> Or would you like to switch to the exceptions package which people are
> considering including in the platform?

I will switch cgi to exceptions if that’s going to be in the platform
going forward.  I’ve been waiting for that decision, because I don’t want
to force users to switch to a different exception library multiple times
if we can avoid it.

(I’m still not really sure whether I should feel obligated to worry about
potential users of cgi on non-GHC compilers that don’t support the hefty
set of GHC extensions required by exceptions.  But that’s probably not of
practical importance.)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014, Gershom Bazerman wrote:
> Actually, changing my opinion here. If there was an argument to _add_
> cgi to the platform I'd be very dubious. Legacy considerations and
> history aside, cgi doesn't feel like a core/common thing that is
> necessary to have in the platform, and it probably hasn't been for many
> years. If Anders doesn't get around to fixing it up, I think we should
> have no compunctions dropping it, and I'd be shocked if there was much
> in the way of complaint.

I also don’t have any particular objections to dropping it.  There are
better libraries for writing Haskell web applications these days, so it’s
mostly a question of how you think legacy users would be best served.

Anders