Proposal: Replace Text.Printf with extensible, complete version

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Sep 17 10:38:24 CEST 2013

Thanks much for the fast response!

My printf tests are at http://github.com/BartMassey/printf-tests.
They're kind of cross-implementation, so I'm not sure of the best way
to fold them into GHC: if I capture them now, GHC won't automatically
track future improvements. Give me another month to work on one more
batch of tests with my students, and I'll end up with something
GHC-ready.

I should warn you that the unit tests are most of the testing I've
done. I would be happy if someone not me compiled a few packages
against the new code and verified that there isn't some horrible
obvious thing that should be fixed before the 7.8 release. I'll try to
be especially available over the next few days for any bug reports.

If the patch is OK, I think I'll leave things that way for now. In the
future, I'll try to send a pull request instead.

Release Note: Rewrote portions of Text.Printf, and made changes to
Numeric (added Numeric.showFFloatAlt and Numeric.showGFloatAlt) and
GHC.Float (added formatRealFloatAlt) to support it. Rewritten version
is extensible to user types, adds a "generic" format specifier "%v",
extends the printf spec to support much of C printf(3) functionality,
and fixes the spurious GHC warnings about using Text.Printf.printf at
(IO a) and ignoring the return value.

--Bart