GHC HEAD vs Hackage, panic-free edition

Nicolas Trangez nicolas at incubaid.com
Tue Oct 15 14:40:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 10:27 -0400, Edward Kmett wrote:
> Carter and I started a conversation with the travis-ci guys about how to
> support multiple Haskell versions a year and a half ago, but it fizzled out
> and not much came of it.
>
> At last check they were definitely leaning more towards supporting a few
> haskell-platforms as they came out rather than something so
> maintenance-heavy as tracking HEAD.

FWIW: In the OCaml ecosystem Anil Madhavapeddy created a set of Ubuntu
PPAs, each containing a different combination of OCaml compiler version
& the 'opam' package manager, which makes it trivial to run TravisCI
jobs against these different versions.

See http://anil.recoil.org/2013/09/30/travis-and-ocaml.html

I switched our original setup (which set up a compiler from scratch in
the TravisCI env for every job, wasting time & resources) to this system
for Arakoon, and it works like a charm, so if similar PPAs would be
available for different GHC and HP versions, and one some system which
e.g. takes nightly binaries & uploads them to the PPA for 'head' builds,
things could work out nicely.

Nicolas