Wither Haskell Platform 2013.4.0.0

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 22:20:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Dag Odenhall <dag.odenhall at gmail.com>wrote:

> This in turn results in distributions either opting not to track or ship
> haskell-platform at all (Arch Linux)

Nope. Arch is a rolling release distribution whose policy is directly
opposed to the "stable release" philosophy of the Platform. They will
package latest versions of everything, not a "stable release". You *cannot*
satisfy their requirements with the Platform; ignore them.

There are other rolling release distributions out there for which this does
not apply, but our schedule is not relevant to them either; they update
when we release. This includes MacPorts, Homebrew, BSD ports/pkgsrc, and
IIRC Gentoo portage and the pkg repo for Illumos-based distributions. Each
has maintainers who will update the relevant ports/ebuilds/etc. (or no
maintainers and nothing we do will matter...).

Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. --- the folks who do stable releases on a
regular schedule --- are close enough to similar schedules that it is worth
trying to synchronize with them. As GNOME has, so watching them probably is
a good idea.