Wither Haskell Platform 2013.4.0.0

Dag Odenhall dag.odenhall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 20:00:42 UTC 2013

I think this is a good opportunity to change the schedule for all future
platform releases. Currently the platform uses a time-based release
schedule with two releases each year, but the schedule is out of sync with
the rest of the free software community with the result that the
haskell-platform package on many Linux distributions typically lags behind
one version – and we‘re usually stuck with this outdated version for six
months until the cycle repeats itself and we’re stuck with the “new old”
version. This in turn results in distributions either opting not to track
or ship haskell-platform at all (Arch Linux) or in people installing the
packages from the development branch of the distribution (Fedora) which is
rather contrary to the stability point of haskell-platform.

The obvious solution would be to track a major upstream with time-based
releases that isn't a Linux distribution itself. GNOME is a good candidate
for this. They typically produce new major versions one or two months
before the Linux distributions do, which gives the latter time to package
and test it. It would also be good to have time-based release candidates
for haskell-platform to make this even smoother, especially since there are
much fewer people working on packaging and testing haskell-platform than
there is GNOME.

The primary audience for haskell-platform might be Windows users and
perhaps OS X users, but I think Linux is actually really important to this
goal, because a lot of library-producing and support-providing developers
use Linux, and currently the attitude seems to be “don‘t use
haskell-platform, don’t test your packages against haskell-platform, don‘t
advice beginners to use haskell-platform”. It’s just abstractly “there” for
“others, unspecified”.

But to return to the thread topic: I don‘t really care if there’s a release
with GHC 7.6 now or soon, but whatever happens I strongly feel there should
be a new haskell-platform with GHC 7.8 *no later than March 2014*, and from
then on haskell-platform should continue to track GNOME, more or less.