aeson and dlist in HP 2013.4.0.0

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 12:42:19 UTC 2013

Just two add my 2c: Given all these new packages which would need to
be pulled into the HP just for aeson, let's not include aeson for
2013.4.0.0 and release 2013.4.0.0 soon without the need for lengthy
discussions. One of the main points of the HP is stability, and doing
things in a useless rush now just to get one more package in is not
the right way to proceed IMHO. We had *tons* of discussions in the
past about minor details and now we should pull lots of largely
unreviewed/unreleased/unstable things in a hurry? That would miss the
main motivation behind the HP.

IMHO a package which is (about to be) included in the API has quite a
few constraints: Its API has to be stable, but its dependencies have
to be stable, too, and they have to be in the HP as well. You can't
simply use tons of other stuff just  because it's convenient. Things
have to be more self-contained than in "normal" packages. Yes, that's
a bit of a burden for the maintainer, but OTOH that's the price one
has to play for almost universal adoption of one's package.